The mission of the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators-Wisconsin (SCBWI-WI) Diversity Committee is to welcome, celebrate, and support Wisconsin writers and illustrators from backgrounds that are underrepresented in the children’s publishing industry. In line with this goal, we’re excited to offer at least one grant to attend the SCBWI Marvelous Midwest Conference in Naperville, Illinois on May 3-5, 2019. This event is an excellent opportunity to meet agents and editors, meet other writers and illustrators, connect with a critique group, and more!
– Your registration fee ($295 value for members, $315 value for non-members)
– A critique or portfolio review with an author/illustrator, agent, or editor ($45 value)
– A year-long SCBWI membership (if the winner is not already a member)
– Partial lodging (all together, this grant can provide $500. Whatever money doesn’t go toward registration, a critique/portfolio review, or an SCBWI membership can go toward lodging.)
* Although we don’t choose recipients based on financial need, we ask applicants to keep in mind those writers and illustrators who could not otherwise attend the conference without this opportunity. Thanks!
You are eligible if:
– You live in Wisconsin.
– You haven’t won an SCBWI-WI full conference grant in the past, such as a grant to the SCBWI-WI Fall Conference.
– You identify as a person belonging to a community that is underrepresented in children’s literature. These communities include, but are not limited to, people of color, LGBTQIA+, religious and cultural minorities, persons with disabilities, Native/First Nations, immigrants. If you’re unsure about your eligibility, feel free to ask us at email@example.com.
– You have not yet published a book for children or teens through a PAL-level publisher. You can find more details about what that term means on our PAL Guidelines page.
Ready to apply? Here’s what we need from you:
Please write the following in the body of an email:
A statement (about 250 words, max) about how you personally identify with a community that is underrepresented in children’s literature.
A statement (also about 250 words) about how this conference could benefit you as a writer or illustrator.
Please attach the following to the email:
Up to 5 pages of a single written project (double spaced, 1-inch margins all around, in a word document format), or up to 5 pages of illustrations. Please make sure your name doesn’t appear anywhere on these pages.
Send your application our way!
Applications are due on 11:59 PM on Friday, March 1. Please send your application, and any questions you have, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll let you know by March 11th whether or not we’re able to offer you the grant. If you don’t receive a grant this year, we still encourage you to attend the conference. Sign up by March 26th for early bird pricing!