We’re so glad you joined SCBWI, the first step into joining the international kidlit community. To
become more involved, we recommend the following:
1. Connect with Susan Twiggs to join a critique group (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure to ask for your specific genres (picture books, YA, traditional art, digital art, etc.).This is by far the best way to start writing or drawing on a schedule and get feedback on your work.
2. Get on the SCBWI listserv site and receive emails about ongoing events and updates. Request to join by emailing Melea Richardson at email@example.com.
3. Thoroughly read The Book: The Essential Guide to Publishing for Children. This fantastic resource kicks off your publication journey and is regularly updated to provide you the latest news with most current networking. You access it by logging into SCBWI.org, clicking on “Publications” and selecting The Book. It is a wealth of information from start to finish.
4. Attend one of the local get-togethers. We offer several high-interest state-wide events a year, and our area reps offer many smaller, free meet-ups. During the pandemic, we’re doing virtual events only. However, you can find many digital workshops from regions around the globe. Find them by going to scbwi.org and clicking the tab called Digital.
5. Attend a bigger conference, also listed there in Digital. Locally, so be sure to check our region’s calendar on our regional website (https://wisconsin.scbwi.org/). That site also shows .
6. Virtually visit your local library. You probably do this on a regular basis already, but it’s a good to check out new ebooks and see what’s current in your category.
7. Read up on the industry and connect with other creators:
● Follow SCBWI-WI on twitter @SCBWIWisconsin
● Follow SCBWI-WI on Facebook : SCBWI-Wisconsin
● Check out the SCBWI-WI blog: https://wisconsin.scbwi.org/category/blog/
● Go to Wisconsin’s regional SCBWI website (https://wisconsin.scbwi.org) to see our list of volunteers, including your area reps, and links to our newsletter, blog, and other helpful resources.
● Dive into SCBWI’s headquarters (international) website at http://scbwi.org.
See more wonderful membership benefits here.
We hope to meet you virtually or in person soon!