The SCBWI-WI Diversity Committee Fall Scholarship
SCBWI-WI is a wonderfully supportive group of illustrators and writers who come together at an annual fall conference to hone their craft and network. The purpose of the SCBWI-WI Diversity Committee is to honor the diversity in Wisconsin that we want to see represented in our children’s and teen literature. The scholarship will provide financial aid to two individuals that personally identify with what is presently the non-majority experience, and have not yet published a book (picture book, middle grade or young adult) through a traditional PAL-level publisher.
1. Only writers and illustrators who live in Wisconsin may apply. Previous winners of full scholarships sponsored by the Diversity Committee are not eligible to apply for 2017 diversity scholarships, but previous winners of partial scholarships are eligible.
2. You must personally identify with what is presently the non-majority experience in children’s literature. This includes, but is not limited to, people of color, LGBTQIA+, religious and cultural minorities, and those with disabilities.
3. Only those who have not yet published a book (picture book, middle grade or young adult) through a traditional PAL-level publisher may apply. (https://www.scbwi.org/about/pal-guidelines/)
4. To apply complete the information below in the body of an email. Writers are to submit 5 pages of a children’s or teen novel, or a PB manuscript, double spaced attached as a word document (please no PDFs, as we need to remove your identifying information for our judges). Illustrators can send a sample of an illustration attached or link to an online portfolio piece. Critiques will not be provided on these pages.
5. Applications must be emailed by 11:59pm on August 14 to email@example.com
6. Two scholarships will be awarded. The first scholarship will cover the conference fee only (no critiques, lodging or transportation). The second scholarship will cover half the conference fee (no critiques, lodging or transportation). Neither scholarship will cover the cost of the Friday intensives.
7. Scholarships will be awarded by August 21.
Please include the following information in your application. This should be pasted into the body of an email.
Please provide a statement (just a sentence or two) on how you personally identify with what is presently the non-majority experience in children’s literature.
Please tell us, in two to three sentences, in what ways would this conference benefit you as a writer or illustrator?